Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Rabbit Brand Seafood Restaurant @ Joo Chiat

Have you heard of "Rabbit Brand"? All that I can think of initially is the famous chewy sweet where the transparent plastic covering it is also edible.

Who would have thought that "Rabbit Brand" is also the name of a seafood restaurant along Joo Chiat Road! I only came to know about it when a Jason told me that it served delicious chinese food at value-for-money prices, especially after 10pm. Indeed, when I arrived here at around 9.45pm for a late dinner with Francesca and my sister, prices were still 'normal' until 10pm, when suddenly, everything became half price!

The ambience was good, with nice sofa seats and bright lights, and they serve a wide variety of food. They recommended us to try their soups like the Buddha Jump Over the Wall and the Shark's Fin Soup, especially after 10pm since it was only going for half price. Seriously, where else can you get such delicacies at around $10?

But I was more tempted to try their specialty fish (if I'm not mistaken it is called the Steamed Patin Fish in Nonya Style) which was a real delight...

The fish was superb. It was rather spicy and very tasty and only costs us around $15! The interesting ingredients which comprised of chopped bits of garlic and maybe peanut (?) complimented the fish very well. We also ordered the Mapo Toufu, which they served a huge portion for a mere $5-6... a lovely dish too.

We ordered quite a number of other dishes, like their black pepper beef and some vegetables (which weren't very fantastic)... I can't really recall what the rest were. Anyway, all I can say about this place is that this is the perfect supper venue for anyone living in the east! Next time, I'll want to try their Chilli Crab, Handmade Fried Buns, Homemade Spinach Beancurd with Tobiko, and of course one of their soups. Oh, I also ordered a can of their Bird's Nest drink, and I thought it gave a nice finishing touch to my meal.

Overall, I give this restaurant 6.5 stars out of 10, and highly recommend this place for supper (after 10pm). The Patin Fish here rocks, and its my most favourite dish here.

Article written by Davyd Chong.

To find out more about Rabbit Brand Seafood Restaurant, click here and here.
To check out other reviews, click here and here.

Address: 325/327 Joo Chiat Road, Singapore 427582
Contact: 63488772, Operating Hours: 6pm - 3am

0 comments: